Sunday, February 26, 2006

Something we should all be aware of

Okay this is going to be a slightly more serious post compared to those I've been posting. Basically, within this week alone I have been involved in two encounters of sexual harassment, and I feel that this issue ought to be brought forward and made known to others.
The American employment law defines sexual harassment as:
"Unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and other verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature [...] when this conduct explicitly or implicitly affects an individual"
I was walking down the street in the middle of the city at around twelve midnight with a couple of friends and we were approached by a few guys. As they approached us, one of them mentioned that his friend "has a big dick". While he spoke, his friend was already on his way undoing his pants. Grossed out and disgusted, my friends and I ignored them and walked away as fast as possible. Thankfully we were in a big group, or else the danger level would have been much higher.
And only two days ago, I was walking down the street in BRIGHT DAYLIGHT, when i saw a naked guy posing obscene poses with a girl at a memorial fountain. The guy was literally naked, and while the girl posed, another guy who I'm guessing is their friend was busy with the camera, snapping shots of them. Even though this time I wasn't approached or directly involved, I feel that such action is not only disrespectful to passer-bys, it is worsen with the fact that they were posing at a memorial fountain, built to honour innocent victims from uncalled for catastrophes.
These two cases are only among the many I have chosen to share with you. And if you think I'm making this up, check out Jessie's blog and you'll see that she, too, had an encounter with weirdos. Weird people are all around. And sexual harassment happens everyday. You have your right to bring this up to the authorities (whoever it may be depending on the circumstance). Of course, like the cases above, it may be difficult because when you're put in that situation, all your brain is telling you is to RUN AWAY.
The purpose of this post is just to remind all of my friends and family members that THESE THINGS DO HAPPEN. If you are ever involved in any form of sexual harassment, talk about it if you need to or seek counselling. Don't let incidents as such affect you, physically or mentally. Remember: You have RIGHTS.

No comments: