Looking for a job could be ranked as one of the TOP TEN MOST ANNOYING THINGS TO DO.
If you think that's funny, don't. Because I'm dead serious.
Last night I did the most random and unpredictable thing ever. I was the only waitress in the entire restaurant. Yes, literally.
Okay I know now you're thinking, "What so random about Alycia working?" Don't jump to conclusions yet; Let me explain: To make things easy, I'll put down my points in a list (not because I think you're mentally incompetant and incapable of understanding if i wrote it down in a paragraph. I just think it would be clearer for you and me if I jot them down in point form.)
1) I do not have a job
2) I'm searching for a job
3) I did not get a job
4) I am still in the process of handing in resumes
5) I worked last night with the full responsibilities of a waitress.
Was number 5 a little bit off track? If it was a train, I'd say the train would be thrown off the railway. That was TOTALLY OFFTRACK!
*ok.. surpress your anger, Alycia... anger management. (Take a deep breath, hold, release.)*
When i walked pass INNC GNITO restaurant on Lygon last night, the A4 piece of paper stuck on the window caught my eye. Waitress Wanted. Part time or Casual positions availlable. Yay! I thought. And since I had been looking for jobs, I had a copy of my resume in my handbag 'just in case.'
So I walked into the restaurant and waited a full 3 minutes before I was attended to. A woman approached me, I asked about the sign on the window, she took my resume, and said, "can you come in this evening?" Well I hadn't made any plans that evening, so I agreed to come in.
An hour later, I walked in and she handed me her apron and the menu. I was told to look over it and know the stuff (in 2 minutes). Then she shoved me the order slip and told me to take orders.
I mean SERIOUSLY... from previous work experience, the waitress never holds the order slip until he/she knows the menu offhand. But things were different here at Innc Gnito. Besides that, I made coffee, served food, set the table, served drinks, everything in an hour and a half. And of course, in that short period of time, I was pretty much working and doing things the way i learnt them. Previous experience was a bonus that night. Then there were the conflicts. The couple could not come to consensus amongst themselves, what more when it involved a third party. The night was chaos, and before i left i was handed two 5 dollar notes and pretty much told to "get out of here" without a word of thanks. It was unspoken, but body language says alot.
This experienced has taught me how things can be so unpredictable. An evening out on Lygon for some cake with a friend could turn out into a night of chaos work, and coming home with some extra pocket money.
Although I did not have the best experience last night, it is undeniable that there were also some benefits. I refreshed my memory on the whole waitressing experience, and being able to serve customers who chose that restaurant for their special night out did make me happy. It was nice to hear customers say "wow, looks good!" when they were served. And even though the pay was "a rip-off for labour work" as quoted from a friend, it was nice to be paid nomatter what the amount because I went out not expecting anything in the first place.
With all of that said, I do not have any regrets for what I did last night. This experience has not put me off job-seeking, instead, has made me more determined to search for the job that's out there waiting for me.
Friday, June 24, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment