Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Melbourne Museum

"Hey! Free newspaper!" As I reached out for todays edition of The Age, I realised that I had not only gotten into the Melbourne Museum for free; I even got a Australias most reputable broadsheet as a bonus. "How cool is that?!" I said to my friend, who was already reaching out for her copy.
Walking into the very impressive building located only one and a half kilometres from my bedroom, I realised what I'd been missing out all this while. The Melbourne Museum covers everything from Aussie Wildlife and myth, to the history of computers, to the tiniest detail of the human brain - everything you need to know is there, really..
Right at the very end of the museum was the children section, which was somehow very entertaining for 19-year-olds. or at least a 19-year-old. Listening to the female voice telling an aboriginal children story about the Emu and the Kookaburra, I realised how simple stories that did not make any sense could become so interesting and made so dramatic.
My fascination did not stop there. In fact, that was only the beginning. As I walked along the next section of the museum, I was amazed to see the thousands, maybe millions of bugs all around in the "bug room." There were beetles as tiny as a bread crumb, all the way to the size of an adult palm. My friend was not very impressed so she took a quick detour and waited for me outside the room.
As we walked on, we passed a row of beautiful crystals and some very interesting collection of rocks. There was even an explanation of a volcano eruption, which did not interest me as much (sorry) so i walked on.
I was fascinated by the many interactive equipments set by the museum. Although I was not pleased by the smell of beetle poo, I really enjoyed the 3D dinosaur show. Of course, the funny mirrors from Luna Park was interesting. I saw myself as a dwarf for the first time.
Every section of the Melbourne Museum has its own unique feature. I did not get the chance to see the entire place due to time constraints, but since its only a 15 minute walk from home, I'll be sure to go there again for some informative entertainment.

No comments: